Rebuild and Regrow


I had actually prepared a different post for today, but in light of recent events I decided to devote this space to yesterday's catastrophic earthquake and tsunami in Sendai, Japan. Barely three weeks after the 2011 Christchurch earthquake, the world once again bears witness to the destructive power of nature. Rescue efforts are underway, but there is still the possibility of repercussions around the Pacific Rim.

Instead of featuring more images of the tsunami and its devastating effect on the Japanese people, I chose to highlight a picture that reflects the beauty of the country, as well as the hope I have for the survivors (I borrowed the above photo from Flickr user momoyama).

Fellow blogger Steven has posted a quick update on the tsunami's effect on the Pacific coast of the US. Fellow blogger Gekobot also has a detailed post where you can find links to the latest news and pictures about the earthquake, as well as how you can help the people affected.

On a side note, while I was looking for a good picture of Japan's famed cherry blossom trees for this post, I stumbled upon this amazing picture of a restaurant on top of a giant tree in Okinawa. If the Japanese can build an awesome giant tree house like this, I have no doubt that they have what it takes to rebuild and regrow their communities and cities.


UPDATE: Fellow blogger Game Store Guy has just posted another page for donations. Check it out.

0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét